Monday, August 23, 2010

Food Frustrations

I have decided that all of the recommendations to eat a variety of flavors while pregnant and nursing so as to help your a child eat a wide variety of foods as they get older is a load of shit. I think whether or not a kid is going to be a picky eater or not is quite possible preprogrammed into their brains in those early weeks of pregnancy that leave you exhausted and feeling hung over all day. (Maybe a picky eater is punishment for the gin and tonic drank before the stick said yes!)

I did eat a variety of foods while pregnant and nursing and at one point Sweet One had a whole list of vegetables that she would eat. Then when she moved primarily onto finger foods, beans and noodles were her staples. These days I have no idea what she'll eat. I always offer what we are eating to see if she'll try it but I still have to have a separate meal for her ready to go. The one main thing she'll eat is wieners and I buy the all beef ones hoping they're a little healthier than others. Who knows. All I know is that it drives me nuts to guess at what she'll actually eat, or even to have her act enthusiastically to a suggestion, and then go into a screaming fit once it is on the tray in front of her.

Maybe once I get back onto our 'winter' meals she'll eat things like curried lentils, meatloaf and chili again. I just hope I don't have to make her separate food until she moves out.

3 comments:

  1. The best thing you can do is just let her try a lot of things. I have a picky eater. He's six. We just sneak the good stuff in the best we can and hope for the best. Don't stress it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I doesn't get much better, I hate to tell you. I was a stickler for Cam only eating healthy foods at first and she loved so many different foods. But once my batshit crazy MIL introduced her to all of the junk foods, my hard work went down the drain. Now in addition to being picky, she won't eat the most basic of preschooler foods: mac & cheese, spaghetti, PB&J, you name it. The kid is weird and it frustrates the hell outta me.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts! The day I first posted, she ate some yellow beans from our garden, and then today she ate pad thai with tofu. I just never know! I'm hoping it gets less exhausting to try and figure this out.

    ReplyDelete

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!