Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy Birthday, Little Man!

Little Man's birthday was this past Sunday and it was wonderful. Unbeknownst to me, Sweet One was having a second wave of being sick (which then got diagnosed as a sinus infection on Tuesday) but she sure didn't show it as she played with their friends and fulfilled her role as the little host very well. She passed out the balloons and the treats. She also helped Little Man open his gifts!

Little Man spent most of his time showing off his new walking skills. It blew my mind that only three days before he took four little steps to me and by Sunday he was putting a dozen together! These little kids and their ability to master new skills will never cease to amaze me.

One of my favorite parts of this party was that we had kids there. When Sweet One turned 1 our guests were six adults all past the age of retirement. It is so nice that things have changed in the past three years. I had some crafts for the kids to do because I was a little worried about having 9 adults and 7 kids in my little house but the chaos ended up seeming more manageable that I had anticipated.

Little Man wanted nothing to do with the cupcakes of his cake, preferring the chocolate head instead. He isn't that much unlike the caterpillar - gorging himself when he can so that his body can always be ready for the new ways he will grow!
 I still have a lot to learn about cake decorating, but I was happy that the only after photo I have of it involved crumbs and a few leftovers rather than a crime scene of dolls and icing!
We're told over and over as parents to enjoy it while it lasts. They'll never be as little as they are right now. And it is true. The immensity of growth and change that happens in a child's first year is not something I have the words to describe. I only know that a year ago he was my little helpless baby who did not much more than to eat, poop and sleep. Now he is blazing his own path, a few steps at a time, as he learns to walk and voice his opinion in the only ways he can. The smile in his eyes when he sees me will melt my heart forever, just as the way he flops his head sideways on me to say, "I love you, MumMum!". I want to hold these moments forever because I know it won't be long before he is a three year old who is making me wonder if I'm going to survive the year! (Yes, today had some particularly difficult minutes! A few of which I wish I could change.)

Happy Birthday, Little Man. You are amazing. I don't know what I would do without you and I hope I can mother you in the way you deserve and help you grow to be a confident and courageous man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!