Monday, October 19, 2009

Sweet One's first fever

This morning I had an idea for another post and it didn't have anything to do with Sweet One. Crazy! I know. But then the morning happened and she is all I can think of.

Yesterday Sweet One hardly ate. This was weird because ever since we went to her 9 month appointment she's been downing more food than I could believe! So I was worried that she wouldn't sleep through the night asking for food constantly. She went right to sleep at 6:30 and woke up many times. At 9:00 I was giving her sweet potato, peas and pears and she gobbled it up between yawns. At some point I gave her teething tablets because it is possible that the two in the front could be coming in and then around 10:00/10:30 I gave her Tylenol because I suspected something was going on. Big Love thought her head felt normal so I didn't take her temperature. (Minor relief that I would not have to put the thermometer up her butt.) 11:30 she woke up for food and again at 2:15. Finally, she slept until 6:00.

I know these details are probably 'been there done that' for many moms but honestly, up until a few weeks ago this kid was sleeping from 10:00 or so until at least 6:00. It was wonderful and I knew I was fortunate. With the past few weeks finding me waking up at least twice to feed her and her wanting to start he day any time from 5am on, I was starting to wonder what to do.

Big Love took her for the first few hours of the day and then she had another fit-full nap. When I was getting her ready for her second nap her forehead felt a little warm and I had to check her temperature. With an under-the-arm reading of 100.2 I decided that it was time for my first rectal reading. Quite honestly, I was scared that it was going to be uncomfortable for Sweet One but she didn't seem to react well. (I guess a little vaseline can make the experience a little more comfortable.) Thank goodness the digital ones work quickly and told me her temperature was up to 102/103 degrees.

Why I am typing all this about her first fever I'm not quite sure. What I do know for sure is that I was afraid of this happening. For the first two months she was alive I was scared she'd get a fever and have to have a spinal. Then I was simply afraid of her burning up, screaming and us having to have a steamy shower like all those moments I've seen on tv. But the truth of the matter is that it isn't too bad. She's not napping very well but when she does wake up she's still quite cheerful. She gets tired and a little fussy but it isn't that bad. Tylenol has been taken and the Motrin is on its way in case we want to alternate. It's just another bit of mamastuff that I was afraid would be huge but in the end we're taking it a little bit at a time and figuring it out together. Just me and my girl.

She has just woken up from a productive 10 minute nap! I thought babies sleep like crazy when they're not feeling well. Not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!