Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A loving instinct

This afternoon as we took advantage of the brilliant sun and snow, she watched them chase each other up and down the sidewalk. The eldest would tackle the younger ones and growl as he pretended to devour his kill. The longer the game went on, the more the younger ones begged to be let go, tired of constantly being the prey. Sweet One laughed at all the silliness she saw as her friends played. She plays with them as much as she can; she iruns up and down the sidewalk either behind trying to catch up or in front as she knows they will soon be passing her. She adores her friends. Three boys ages 7, 4.5 and 3. Their play is some of the only play she has known with kids.

Because she has only really seen boys play together I am completely amazed at the instinct she shows with her new doll. After reading about another young child's love of these dolls, I ordered one and it arrived last week. Sweet One's initial reaction was awe. "Baby!" she whispered as if it had been touched by angels. Slowly she allowed herself to touch it but only on the arms. Eventually she made her way to holding it with one arm and carrying it around the house. Now Sweet One makes sure her baby goes to sleep with her at naptime and at night. She gives it kisses goodnight as she smiles and gets comfy under the covers. If she comes out of bed to get a little more attention, she is carrying her baby.

I truly don't know how she learned to play with her doll. As far as I know she has never seen a girl play with one before, unless it has been while we're at MOPS. This instinct blows my mind and I wish I understood more. I am hoping that showing such love and attention to her baby will help the transition of having a new baby in the house. Who knows how Sweet One will adjust to not be the sole being at the center of my world but I do know we'll figure it out as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!