Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A recap: 2011

There's nothing on tv tonight and I was fortunate to have some quiet time this morning while Little Man slept, Big Love shoveled the walk and Sweet One played outside to finish up my latest disc of In Treatment - I can't turn off my brain and so I figured this would be a good way to kill time.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you've never done before?
Became a mother of 2 children as opposed to 1.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more?
I didn't make any. I have some goals I'd like to achieve but I wouldn't call them resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Do I count? I had a baby boy. He's awesome. Really cute and happy most of the time. I can't get enough of him.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
None. I wasn't even allowed to leave this one for a chunk of time.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011.
At the risk of TMI, perhaps the desire to be amorous with my hubby? A wee bit of time for myself to make myself better that could hopefully bring more self-acceptance and self-respect to my world.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
I can recall most of April 1, 2011 in great detail. It was the day my baby boy was cut out of me.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My daughter is potty trained. That's all I can think of.

9. What was your biggest failure?
All the times I yelled and lost my temper with Sweet One. Or was mean to Big Love for lack of another place to vent my frustration/anger.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really. Recovered quickly from my second c-section and have a cold now and again. Nothing major.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new TV. I love TV. I watch it a lot. We used Christmas gift money to buy a bigger one. Before we had a 27" tube. It sucked. It's nice to have a 37" LCD because then when my daughter is watching Sesame Street, things aren't cut off.

12. Where did most of your money go?
The house. The car. Medical Bills. No fukking clue.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Not being pregnant again. Ever. (Or as much of this is in my control.)

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Not one song in particular.

15. Compared to last year are you...
- happier or sadder? neither
- thinner or fatter? I'm not pregnant anymore. But I feel fatter than ever in some ways.
- richer or poorer? on a day to day basis, the same. But our mortgage balance is getting smaller and so is our car loan. Does that make us richer? Who knows?

16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Enjoying the little moments.

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Not spent so much time freaking out about whether or not Sweet One would be potty trained. Yelling when I got overwhelmed. Bitching at Big Love for no real reason.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
On the Eve me and the kids went to our friends across the street while Big Love was at work. Then I watched Crazy, Stupid, Love in the evening while Big Love was back at work. Christmas Day we opened presents throughout the day and Big Love went to work for awhile. We had dinner at our surrogate family's house.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
I watch A LOT of shows but if I had to only watch one it would be Parenthood. I LOVE IT! It is awesome.

20. What was your favorite books of the year?
I haven't read anything in a long time but I did really enjoy reading February.

21. What was your favorite music from the year?
I have been listening to the Glee soundtracks. I started listening to James Taylor and I like him a lot.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I hardly remember watching any. I did love Crazy, Stupid, Love and laughed a lot watching Just Go With It.

23. What did you do on your birthday? How old were you?
Nothing special. I only had a cake because a friend made me one. I was about 3.5 weeks post partum at that time which made it even harder to do anything. Maybe we went to McDonald's for dinner - oh no, I think that was Mother's Day.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not worrying about money so much. Not feeling like I had to worry about money so much.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept for 2011?
Crap. Overworn, cheap, few. Completely unflattering and depressing.

26. What kept you sane?
My children. They make me laugh and hopefully help me keep things in perspective.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Using hand lotion on a regular basis when you cloth diaper helps to prevent painful chapping. A little bit of yoga on a regular basis is better than a lot here and there. It's important to find a reason to smile. Even if you don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!