Monday, October 26, 2009

Pop Tarts, Take Out and Coffee

At some point in my life I heard that it is not good to talk baby talk to babies because it really doesn't help their language development. I even went as far as to tell Big Love that it is best that we always use words with Sweet One. Honestly, I had no idea where I had heard it from but I believed it to be from an excellent source and was willing to stick to my guns.

Every day, abc family airs two episodes of Gilmore Girls and 5 per week (mornings being a repeat of the previous day at 5pm) and I'm making my way through. When I need a serious break from self-flagellation and my frustrations with a little girl who won't eat I love turning one of these on. Big Love says I often giggle more during one of the episodes than any other show I watch. I just finished watching "Die, Jerk" (Season 4, Episode 8). Lorelai is visiting Suki and her new baby, makes a few cooey noises and in walks Bruce the midwife to give Lorelai shit for talking baby talk and then lectures her on how babies brains are hardwired early on. This is where I learned not to baby talk to babies in 2003 when it was originally aired!

Quite honestly, I'd love to have a relationship with Sweet One as Lorelai and Rory have (reminding myself this is fiction) and so I pretend I'm 'getting my learnin's on how to be a mom' as I giggle through these episodes. Maybe I can learn to relax a little more with Sweet One and her eating. If Rory survived on pop tarts, take out and coffee I guess it can't be all that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, LOVE to hear from you!